The first signs of aging can be seen on the face.
The facelift, also known as ritidectomy, makes it possible to solve problems with drooping skin on the face and neck, by removing excess fat and "stretching" the tissues beneath the skin. This procedure will help yout face regain a young and fresh look.
The facelift may be accompanied or not by a neck lift. Usually. In order to get the best possible aesthetic results, both a facelift and a neck lift must be performed.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the indications for a successful facelift?
Patients between the afe of 40 and 60 years old are the ones who benefit most from a facelift. Goof results are obtained also for and elderly people. Facial defects that are treated by the face lift procedure are:
- nazogeniene pronounced ridges,
- loss of well-defined jaw line,
- deep wrinkles and skin fell to the cheek,
- skin sagging and wrinkles in the neck.
Whar does the pre-operation consultation for a facelift involve?
You must be prepared to provide complete information to your surgeon:
- surgery history,
- other present or past pathologies,
- other treatments followed,
- medication management, including dietary supplements and herbal remedies.
If you are overweight and planning to keep a diet, losing weight can affect the final result.
Your doctor will examine your bone structure and underlying tissues, texture and elasticity of the skin and the severity of wrinkles and facial folds. He or she will explain to you where the incision will be made and the whole surgical plan. You will also be informed of other procedures that may occur while face lift operation:
- forehead lift,
- eyelid surgery,
- nose correction,
- chemical peels or laser resurfacing for wrinkles treatment
What is the face lift surgery?
There are several technical options for the face lift surgery. Usually the incision is hidden by the natural contour of the ear and by the hair. A small incision under the chin may be required in order to remove fat deposits and fibrosis, smoothing the areas of the neck muscles. The skin and tissues below the skin excess is taken off by excision, then sutured in place. In some cases deeper tissues are repositioned, so as to give the face a more tonic look.
How should I prepare for the facelift surgery?
Once you set the date for the surgery you will receive instructions regarding pre and postoperative periods:
- avoid certain medications that may complicate the surgery or recovery: aspirin, other NSAIDs, anticoagulants etc
- stop smoking,
- let your hair grow so that it can cover incisions areas during the healing process.
You will receive pre and postoperative medication so that you feel comfortable at all times. The face lift surgery is performed under general anesthesia or local anesthesia with intravenous sedation. You will be monitored preoperatively, throughout the surgery and throughout the recovery period.
How will I look and how I will feel after the facelift surgery?
You will have dressings applied to the areas where incisions were performed. Often there are mounted suction drainage tubes in the cheek region, which are attached to collectors. Discomfort is usually minimal, pain can be easily controlled by medication.
Although healing is a process that varies from person to person, we can draw a generally valid line, as follows:
You have to stay in bed with the head placed on several pillows to minimize bruising and facial edema (swelling).
In the first week:
- Face swelling reaches a maximum and then gradually decreases
- The suture material is resumed
- You can resume light activities everyday but need to continue to sleep with the head elevated to a higher position.
- You can start using makeup again
After two weeks:
- most bruising disappeares
- you can resume all activities .
After six weeks:
- you can resume exercise,
- facial swelling gradually diminishes
- skin sensitivity returns to normal in most cases. Sometimes areas of anesthesia may persist for several months.
UV exposure should be avoided throughout the healing process and protective creams should be used long term.
A number of factors including heredity and lifestyle play an important role in longevity results. Although the aging process continues, most patients are very satisfied with the results for long periods of time.
Throughout the healing ptocess you will benefit from several checkups, occasions where healing is monitored by your surgeon and in the meanwhile you will have the opportunity to get answers to all questions. It is important to keep in touch with your surgeon several months after the facelift surgery .
Although these treatments are very effective, 1% of the patients do not achieve the desired results!