Wrinkles represent folds of skin that form due to the action of muscles just below it. Wrinkles are formed both on the face and other areas such as arms, neck , décolleté , inter and inframammary etc, by far the most annoying being the ones localized on the face.
Methods for prevention of wrinkles (too early) have a common denominator keeping skin quality. Genetics plays an important but not defining. Environmental factors and lifestyle are important in wrinkle treatment.
Skin is the most voluminous organ of the human body. It is understood that any medical condition that affects the body completely, will leave traces in the skin. The essential role of this organ is to protect against aggressive external factors (cold, heat, humidity , toxic substances etc).
The skin is the mirror of the entire body. Healthy skin reflects a general state of health. Prolonged exposure to any of uncontrolled environmental factors mentioned above will lead too skin quality deterioration.
The following factors are directly involved in accelerating the formation of wrinkles:
- Prolonged exposure to sunlight causes destruction of collagen in the skin and pronounced wrinkling, feature more common in people with very pale skin.
- Cold causes decreased circulation in the facial skin, temporary closure of peripheral vessels, decreased production of sebum, slowing the toxins removing and the skin starts to slowly degrade.
- High temperatures with low humidity cause dehydration of the skin, lower production in the sweat glands and early wrinkling.
- Air currents affect the skin because they virtually "dry" it. If air currents are associated with low temperatures, the negative effects are potentiated.
Prevention involves removing wrinkles or reducing exposure to the above factors, the application of creams with a high SPF, the use of greasy creams in the cold and warm periods and the use of moisturizing creams. Knowing that in our country the climate is dry, avoid exposure to strong air currents, either in summer or winter.
One way our grandparents know very well regarding weinkle treatment is to apply a hot wet towel. Wet sauna is also very good for maintaining skin's moisture level.
Lifestyle and diet are very important. Sleep quantity and quality, lack of stress of any kind, a diet rich in fluids and fiber, and lacking in animal fats, not smoking, taking over the course of 2 weeks, 2 times a year, antioxidant vitamins (vitamin C , vitamin E), are all ways which will delay the appearance of wrinkles.
Methods of wrinkle treatment
Non-surgical wrinkle treatment
- Monthly facial treatment or at least every two months: it represents a series of maneuvers and applications of various cosmetic products suitable for your skin to produce a deep cleansing, moisturizing and nourishing. Determining skin type must be done correctly and the products used must be chosen knowingly, because the application of products that are not suitable for your skin can cause side effects. Here are a few secrets you can use in your home if you don't want to use commercial products or are allergic to them: best masks for dry skin that lacks sebum are based on egg yolk, to which you can add a teaspoon of cheese, a few drops of olive oil or vitamin A+E oil . During winter it is recommended you use a hot milk mask; soak several pieces of cotton wool in milk and apply them on face as a mask.
In summer the best masks for the same type of skin are based on fruits (apricots, peaches, watermelon, etc) or vegetables (cucumber , tomato , carrot). For acne oily skins use egg whites with lemon juice added. Masks with yeast and honey are recommended for all skin types, especially during the cold season. Aply warm herbal decoction (chamomile, sage, rosemary, lavender, calendula, linden flowers, peppermint) on the face in order to obtain a high moisturizing effect both in summer and winter. All these masks must be preceded by a deep cleansing of the skin by using peeling products (corn or bran), a massage to stimulate circulation at this level and accelerate detoxification and skin hydration by wet sauna in advance.
- Chemical peels involve appling products with acidic properties on the skin, which will cause the removal of the superficial layers of the skin and stimulate the production of "young" skin. Depending on the products used, their concentration and the action time, the peeling can be superficial, medium or deep. After this treatment the skin needs special care for periods up to 2 months.
- Microdermabrasion is a mechanical method of removing the superficial layers of the skin. Dermabrasion devices are varied, the effect is mainly the same: deep cleaning.
- BioSkinJetting or subscizia is a method for stimulating the collagen production within each wrinkle in part. Immediately after the treatment, the treated wrinkles will be fine red lines that can be easily covered with make-up and disappear within 2-4 days, being replaced by young collagen. Just as with chemical peelings, young tissue needs special care. Sometimes it takes more than one treatment session to obtaina favorable results.
- Rejuvenation using Intensive Pulse Light involves application to the skin of radiation with a specific wavelength. Not only does this not cause hyperpigmentation damage to the skin, but it fades the existing ones. As a side effect, it brings an improvement to the overall appearance of the skin's collagen and mitigation of fine wrinkles.
- Laser peels therapy. Laser therapy is a method that removes a layer of skin, removing also the intense pigmentation and the wrinkles. The recovery period lasts a few weeks.
- Injectable gels can be used to mitigate the appearance of deep wrinkles and nasolabial grooves (between nose and mouth).The volume substances are produced in several densities, the least dense ones being ideal for "filling" up the wrinkles. Gels can have a temporary effect (several months) or a long lasting effect (a few years), the last ones having a risk of local adverse effects (irritation, patchy inflammation).
- The botulinum toxin is a product that is injected in the facial muscles and cause relaxation of that muscle for a period between four and six months. The effect is temporary, the muscles gradually reverts to its initial state.
It is important to choose carefully when tp start this treatment. When the first wrinkles appear that no longer disappear when applying non-medical methods of treatment, then it is appropriate to start this therapy.
This method is virtually risk-free, the amount of botulinum toxin contained in the serum being extremely low. Allergy to this type of treatment is very rare. Results are installed gradually over several days, and the overall effect of treatment is obtained after a week.
Each treatment lasts a few minutes. At the injection site remain signs that resemble a mosquito sting. These signs disappear after a few minutes to half an hour. Sometimes there may be a bruise that can be covered easily with make-up and that disappears by itself after 3-4 days.
Nobody in your entourage will notice the difference, your physiognomy remains the same. What changes though is the overall appearance of the face, meaning it will look more rested and relaxed.
Surgical wrinkle treatment
- Autologous transfer is a surgical method of harvesting fat from the patient's own belly, processing it and injecting it in the wrinkles, lips, cheeks etc. It is also called microlipofiling. The surgery can be done under local anesthesia, in both surgical areas, and the desired effects last only after at least three such " fills" have been performed with six months in between them. Half of the amount of fat is reabsorbed in a few months, so every intervention neededs to "overfill", so the initial volume will be higher than desired.
- The total or partial face lift of the forehead and eyebrows is a surgical procedures that removes excess skin, the face regaining a tonic and fresh look. Usually this procedure is associated with one of the above non-surgical methods. It represents the most radical method of treatment, with lasting effect, for years or decades. Even after the intervention, methods of care should continue to prevent skin damage.
The new approach to the treatment of wrinkles is the combination of treatments. Simultaneous application of two types of therapies will lead to obtaining superior results than if one single application. Combining these methods can bring spectacular results. Some examples of associations:
- BioSkinJetting with botulinum toxin: the botulinum serum relaxes facial uscles for a period of several months, long enough for the young collagen obtained by BioSkinJetting to mature. After this combination, most often there is no need for a new treatment with toxin serum or BioSkinJetting for period of time.
- Chemical peeling and botulinum toxin, combination used in treating deep wrinkles in older age. By relaxing the muscl a significant percentage of wrinkles is attenuated, the rest responding to chemical peels therapy.
- The combination of gels and botulinum toxin injection is used very frequently. Botulinum toxin therapy is applicable only for the wrinkles in the upper half of the face and the wrinkles in the lower half are treated by injecting gels. The triad of botulinum toxin, gel injections and peeling (or IPL or laser therapy) is sovereign in aesthetic medicine today, the efficiency is high compared with the degree of invasiveness of the method and thus the preferred surgical method.
- The pairing of any surgical techniques with one or more non-surgical methods is the latest trend in aesthetic medicine. Cosmetic surgery has its well established role in the treatment of facial wrinkles and skin ptosis. The results are superior when indications of the surgical methods are strictly obeyed.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the botulinum toxin (botox)?
Botulinum toxin is a natural substance produced by a bacterium called Clostridium botulinum. In treating wrinkles it is used the type A botulinum toxin.
Why is the botulinum toxin (botox) used in wrinkles treatment?
It is often used to treat blepharospasm and strabismus. In aesthetic medicine injections with botulinum toxin diminishe facial wrinkles caused by facial expressions such as smiling, frowning or surprise by relaxing facial muscles.
When is the right time to start the wrinkle treatment with botulinum toxin (botox)?
As soon as the first wrinkles appear. In our opinion it is useless to try preventing wrinkles by using this method.
Who performs the wrinkle treatment with botulinum toxin (botox)?
Only educated medical staff, doctors, specialists in plastic surgery or dermatology. The treatment is done in medical and not in cosmetic clinics.
Is the wrinkle treatment painful?
You may feel mild stinging caused by using the injection needle. Also you may experience mild headache in the first few days after the injection and mild pain or burning sensations during the injection.
What happens after the botulinum toxin (botox) injection?
After this treatment you will see the first effects in a few hours to three days. Your specialist will give you some guidelines in terms of the first 4 hours post-injection care. The maximum benefit occurs in 1-2 weeks. The result last for about 3 to 6 months after the first injection. It consists in smoothing the wrinkles and improving skin appearance around the injected areas. When the treatment effect begins to disappear, you will notice a gradual return of muscle contraction, at which point you should undergo a new treatment.
What are the risks and side effects of wrinkle treatment with botulinum toxin (botox)?
Due to the unique mechanism of action of the botulinum toxin, it improves its efficiency with each use. Regarding the long-term effects, the botulinum toxin can be used indefinitely. If you are pregnant or follow a long-term medication you should postpone this type of therapy.
The effect of botulinum toxin may be increased by administration of aminoglycosides class antibiotics that interfere with the neuromuscular plate.
Botulinum toxin can cause:
- transient headache;
- hematoma - a blood clot located at different levels occurs due to the rupture of a blood capillary and it disappears spontaneously in a few days;
- ectropion - inert eyelid sagging abnormally;
- diplopia - perception of two images of a single object, also called double vision;
Your doctor must be informed of any medication you take. You need to inform your doctor if you have cardiac arrhythmia, bronchospasm, disorder of the anal sphincter or any other muscle contraction disorder for which you were prescribed neostigmine.
Although these treatments are very effective, 1% of the patients do not achieve the desired results!